7-Zip is a full function file archiver freeware!
7-Zip default to compress files in .7z compression format using LZMA compression algorithm.
LZMA, shorts for Lempel-Ziv-Markov chain-Algorithm, is a data compression algorithm developed on 2001. It uses a dictionary compression scheme similar to LZ77 (such as Gnuzip - better known as gzip in Linux world) but features withBesides supporting 7z compression format, 7-Zip too able to compress and decompress some other popular compression formats.
- high compression ratio
- variable dictionary size up to 4GB
- compressing speed at about 1MB/s and decompressing speed at about 10-20MB/s on 2GHz CPU
- little memory require for decompressing depends on dictionary size
- small code size for decompressing at about 5KB
- supporting multi-threading and Intel Pentium 4 HT technology
- Supported compression file formats:
7Z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
- Unzip compressed file formats:
7Z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB, and NSIS
Others attractive features of 7-Zip such as:
- Supports files size up to 16000000000GB
- Unicode file name
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Ability of using any compression, conversion or encryption method
- Multilingual interface up to 63 languages at time of writing.
- Available in various platforms such as both Windows 32-bit and 64-bit version, Unix, FreeBSD, Redhat, Fedore Core, Debian, Gentoo, Mac OS X, BeOS etc